Use of Bogs in the art room.
As students become
increasingly tech-savvy and multiple forms of visual media become the norm in
their daily lives, it is only natural that instructional pedagogy embraces this
trend in an endeavour to “speak their language”.
21st century
literacy implies the ability to use media to evoke emotional responses. Art,
music, film, photography all have this potential and are powerful communication
tools. Creativity and the ability to articulate and communicate ideas using not
only words but also images and sounds is valued broadly.
![]() |
| Snap shot of "Did You Know 4.0" YouTube clip |
![]() |
| Snap shot of "A Vision of Students Today" YouTube video |
I would like to
implement personal blogs in the form of Electronic Process Diaries (EPD) into
my classroom, alongside the physical Visual Process Diaries (VPD) already in
place in art classes in all year levels. Blogs can more fully engage students,
allow them to articulate ideas and demonstrate concepts. Communication skills
are highly valued by students and teachers alike- both in traditional forms
like print and public speaking, and also in forms like multimedia, the visual arts,
music and cinema (notes from 'A Global Imperative' paper).
Using images in eLearning: notes
Visual literacy is the ability to see, to understand, and ultimately to think, create and communicate graphically. The visual literate viewer looks at an image carefully, critically, and with an eye for the intentions of the image's creator. While accurate observation is important, understanding what we see and comprehending visual relationships are as important. These higher-level visual literacy skills require critical thinking, and they are essential to a student's success (notes from 'Reading images; an introduction to visual literacy').
Reflection on Podcasts:
I think that Podcasts can be a useful tool in the classroom and as set tasks for homework as part of the learning journey. I found some fantastic Podcasts from TED relevant to my subject area. I could provide access to this Podcast through links on my weebly to introduce a unit of work that the year 11 students are doing. this video would be in the 'engaging' or 'seeing' learning outcome on the designed video diagram below taken from 'It is not television anymore, Designing digital video for learning and assessment'.
![]() |
| Learning Outcomes for Designed Video |
Creating a video for use in the classroom:
I created one for an arts subject; interview a local artist. It could be used an an example of an assessment piece for the students. Students could interview each other in pairs to create artist statements about their finished works and upload them onto their blogs. It took ages and ages and ages to upload, and eventually I had to stop it so I could actually leave the page and do something else, so I am not massively fond of it. FAIL!
So, I created a smaller one... fingers crossed.
So, I created a smaller one... fingers crossed.
Web 2.0 tool that I will explore and develop further is my weebly.
I have opted to explore and develop my weebly further because it is a tool that I want to use in my classroom to engage interest. Visual literacy is a major component of the arts curriculum, indeed being an assessable element, and I believe that implementing a weebly full of imagery placed in a valid context will greatly assist in communicating tasks and providing links to specific material to the students.
Idea: Pablo Picasso's Guernical analysis from 3 different perspectives.
Watch the 3 videos embedded on the weebly for year 11. First... answer the questions on the worksheet link. Then... create your own analysis of 'Guernica' and present it in your own way. this might be a small essay or you may choose to use your Voki. It must be embedded onto your blog.



Lisa, I like the You Tube clips that you have chosen to share. I read that you would use these as teacher tools in your classroom; can you see yourself using them as student tools? If so, how might that look?
ReplyDeleteHi Jacquie,
ReplyDeleteStudents could compile and link videos or articles they have found that support understanding for their (imaginary at this stage) Electronic Process Diaries (EPD), which would support the physical Visual Process Diary. I could also include an assessment peice for creating your own "in plain english" video. Check out the idea on my weebly http://leadaintdead.weebly.com/year-11.html